Saturday, December 24, 2011

OPST Christmas concert


OPST Christmas concert 2011

Friday, December 23, I was fortunate to be able to attend the Orchestre Philharmonique Sainte Trinité's Christmas concert.  The OPST, associated with the Holy Trinity Music School and cathedral, is the only philharmonic orchestra in Haiti.  Since the concert was held in a conference hall, (the Salle Ste Cécile having been destroyed during the earthquake), I was able to sit right up front and watch the musicians.  They had a guest conductor for part of it who led us all in the final verse of a Christmas carol, which was much fun, but I especially enjoyed watching Père David César, the priest in charge of the music school, as he was clearly enjoying himself as he directed. 

Between this and the Christmas cookies I made today, I am finally feeling as though it is really Christmas Eve.

* * *
I wrote this much earlier and had hoped to post it along with a very short video clip (complete with music), but I've given up on that.  The bandwidth here isn't up to such things.  Maybe next summer I will publish a series of OPST video music clips.  Meanwhile, use your imagination to hear their Christmas music.

Wishing you all a blessed and holy Christmas season.  Joyeux Noël!

No comments:

Post a Comment