Tuesday, June 14, 2011

fire in Joplin - weren't tornadoes enough?

"Heartbreaking" fire damages or destroys 16 Joplin businesses - KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg
It's NOT FAIR.

"Heartbreaking" fire damages or destroys 16 Joplin businesses -
 KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg


Not fair, not fair, not fair.

Excerpt:
"Posted June 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM CST: A complex of businesses located in the old Morton Booth building has been destroyed in a Tuesday morning fire.


It's a double whammy of disaster for Furniture Rescue which had just relocated to the Lesley business property at 4th and School streets after its prior space on Katherine Street was destroyed by the May 22 tornado.


A Safeway employee who just moved here from Kansas City was storing all his property in an office space after losing his home at the Chase Apartments to the tornado. Now it is all gone."

My mother used to tell me, "Life is not fair!" whenever I complained that something wasn't fair.  Well, it isn't. And I still don't like it, lo these decades later.  Like Haiti - hurricanes, earthquake, political upheaval, cholera - you  name it.  Enough already.  It is true that no one ever encouraged me to think that life was fair. And certainly I would be a lot less fortunate if it were! Still, my insides rebel.  I don't know if that makes me a five year old again, an idealist, a cynic, or just someone who wants everyone to have good things equally - including escape from tragedy.  Well, that's not the way it works.  I can't change it.  But I can change how I respond to it.  God help me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment