Friday, May 29, 2009

Tap-taps

Tap-taps are public transportation in Haiti. Of all shapes and sizes, they have regular routes but are individually owned rather than existing as part of a city-wide system. Most are pickups or small flatbed trucks with a roof and fairly open sides, but I have seen a few former US schoolbuses partially repainted and put to use.


Tap-taps are brightly painted in many colors, almost always with slogans on the front and sides in capital letters. Most of these are religious, and quite a number of them are in English. I've seen "THANK YOU JESUS" and "LOVE" several times. At some point later I'll write an entry with a list of them.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 30, 2009

    If I showed those photos to the boys, I bet they'd paint the Amigo tomorrow! :)

    Hey email me and tell me if I should send you a bunch (maybe 20) of knitting needles there or wait and send them back to the convent when you visit. Didn't know if maybe they could use them there. They are all different colors, widths and lengths. Very pretty metal ones. Anyhoo, let me know. Love you! l.

    ReplyDelete