Monday, April 15, 2013

praying for Boston tonight

This afternoon I was sitting on the porch, my brain turned to mush.  Monday is our day off, and I'd already come home from a board meeting and planned to take some down time.  That was a good plan because it was too hot to think.  The biggest thing on my mind was the thought that if it was 98F today, in mid-April, what would July be like? 

Then I got a call. Do you have power? he asked.  No.  What a strange question.  You know we almost never have power midafternoon. What's up?  Explosions in Boston, he said.  And he said something I thought was Manhattan (must have been "marathon"), and two explosions at the same time, and I thought we were talking about one in each city.  Where in Boston, I asked? He didn't know.  A while later he called back and said something about the library.  Someone blew up the library? 

Nothing on the radio here - I checked.

So we waited and prayed.  I watched a hummingbird.  Prayed some more. 

tiny hummingbird in our pine tree

Finally the call came: we have power!  And earlier than usual, too - it wasn't even close to being dark.  I was grateful.  Ran for the TV.  Then ran to bring my computer upstairs to supplement it. 

Wow.   You all know what happened; I don't need to go into that. Not that we know all that much yet, in any case.

sunset over Boston

So tonight I continue to pray.  I ask that you join me in praying for those who were hurt or killed and their families, for those who are physically unhurt but will be having nightmares for a long time, for first responders and medical teams, for investigators, for those who are still trying to find out if their loved ones are all right, and for those sick enough to plan such a thing.   And there are more prayers yet to be lifted up.  May God heal the violence in our world and in each of us.  Jesus said, my peace I leave with you.  We need to live into that, especially now.

Prayer For the Human Family
  O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole “family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

---Book of Common Prayer p. 815

No comments:

Post a Comment