Wednesday, July 4, 2012

on a jet plane


leaving on a jet plane... Port-au-Prince by air

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane.
DO know when I'll be back again!

Good news, that. 

the coast just north of Port-au-Prince

On my way to the church's General Convention in Indianapolis. 

getting ready to celebrate Independence Day at the Miami airport

Miami looks like the inside of a computer from the air...


looks like the inside of a computer to me...

What struck me was how orderly it all seemed.  Oddly so.  All the roads were straight (or evenly curved) and paved, the cars were moving along evenly in straight lines, and everything was so neatly arranged.  It just seemed so...well... tidy. 


sun through clouds, river glinting far below
 
Beautiful skies between Miami and Indianapolis.

the sun seen through the ice crystams on the plane window - the first frost I've seen in a while, needless to say 

"our eyes behold the vesper light..."
red sun below a layer of clouds

red sun against a dark sky with sunset-lit clouds above  - beautiful skies seen from the plane

orange moon over Indianapolis, city lights below
 It seemed so odd to see the city all lit up like that, especially as the sun had just set and it wasn't very dark.  A bit later, I started to tell Sr. Kethia that it might be best to iron a habit that night in case there wasn't power in the morning... oh. right. Toto, we're not in Port-au-Prince anymore.

And then when I got to the hotel, I remember turning on the water and then pulling my hand back, startled for a second at the hot water (in my bathroom at home, there is no hot water, and the cold water comes out of the left faucet).  And I hesitated a second before putting my toothbrush under the faucet.

It didn't take me long to get used to the air conditioning, however.  It's hot enough here in Indianapolis this week that even Haitians are complaining about the heat.  I'm not laughing. Really.   I think it's kind of them to make us feel so at home by ordering up Haitian weather to welcome us.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, Sarah. Your sky pictures are gorgeous. I'm sorry about the heat, especially for those who are not accustomed. We had a day of 100° here already in June. What will July and August bring?

    I'm praying the Spirit of God enlightens and guides everyone at GC.

    ReplyDelete